I have written before about the dangers of “burning the midnight oil”, something of which I’m also guilty! When this article on Medscape (please note anyone can have a free Medscape subscription, necessary to access this article) came to my attention, I thought the overview of the various findings related to sleeping less than 6 hours was worth reviewing:
“Sleep deprivation has a profound impact on multiple disease states. For example, if you sleep less than 6 hours, epidemiologic studies show the following:
• Stroke is increased by a factor of 4 times.
• Obesity is increased by an increase in ghrelin, which is a hunger hormone.
• Diabetes is increased because sleep deprivation increases insulin resistance.
• Memory loss is accelerated. Epidemiologic studies show that there is not only permanent cognitive loss but also evidence of early brain deterioration.
• Osteoporosis is increased, at least in an animal model, with changes in bone mineral density. Even changes in bone marrow are evident within 3 months of a study in a rat model.
• Cardiac disease is increased. There is a 48% increase in early cardiac death, as well as increased cardiac-related mortality.
• A 4-fold overall increase in mortality.
As it relates to gastrointestinal disease, there is an increased risk for colon cancer, and at least 1 epidemiologic study shows an association between sleep deprivation (or lack of sleep) and an increase in the likelihood of precancerous (adenomatous) polyps.”
The author also summarized the results of this finding that sleep deprived mice had higher rates of tumor growth.
More and more studies are linking sleep deprivation and obstructive sleep apnea with numerous medical conditions, including cancer.
If you sleep less than 6 hours, something else to sleep on…
Dr. Andrea Stevens is a cosmetic and family dentist in practice in Kanata, Ontario. If you have dental questions, you can call her at 613-271-7091 or visit her at kanatacosmeticdentist.com Please also feel free to leave comments or questions below, and Dr. Stevens will be happy to answer!